This is by far one of the best things that I have learned how to make. It’s the perfect breakfast cake. I’ve already made it quite a few times for brunch and it’s always a BIG hit!
I found this recipe on Pinterest and as soon as I saw the ingredients, I knew I had to make it! Buttermilk and blueberries? Can’t really go wrong with that combo. This cake is light and delicious. The perfect spring time dish!
Adapted from alexandra’s kitchen
Buttermilk Blueberry Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
7/8 cup sugar (that equates to 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
4. In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour and the buttermilk to the batter a little at a time, alternating between the two.
5. Add about 2 tablespoons of flour to the blueberries and toss. Cover each blueberry with flour. (This is so the blueberries do not sink down to the bottom of the batter when baking.) Fold blueberries into the batter gently.
6. Spread batter into a 9-inch, greased baking pan. Sprinkle top of batter with sugar. Bake for 40 minutes. Depending on your oven, the cake may take longer to prepare. Be sure to check the middle with a toothpick to make sure it’s completely done.