As someone who absolutely despises cream cheese I am not too sure what inspired me to make these poppers. If you ask me what the devil’s favorite food is, I will gladly inform you that it’s cream cheese. I’ve hated cream cheese since I was little and hate most things made with cream cheese. (Don’t even get me started on cheesecake!) But for some reason these intrigued me. And I figured, even if I didn’t like them, I’m sure everyone else would. Well, these were a huge hit! Everyone loved them, including me! The cream cheese had enough flavor to not make me want to puke.
I changed up the original recipe a little bit. I decided to bake the poppers instead of frying them. I’ve worked with wonton wrappers for a few different things and love the way they taste when baked. They still come out crispy if they are not fried.
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Wonton Jalapeno Poppers
5 jalapeno peppers cut into 1-inch squares (I scraped the seeds out but you can leave them in if you want some extra spice)
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 package of wonton wrappers
2 tablespoons of chives, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, garlic, cheese, and chives. Mix until ingredients are full incorporated.
3. Place one piece of jalapeno in the middle of a wonton wrapper. Top pepper with a teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture. You don’t want to put too much because it will be difficult to close.
4. Fold wonton wrapper in half, forming a triangle. Use luke warm water around the edges to seal.
5. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray before placing the poppers on it. Spray poppers with cooking spray before placing in oven. (The cooking spray helps to make them extra crispy.)
6. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from oven. Flip each popper over, then place back in oven. Cook for another 8 minutes or until they are golden brown.
7. These go very well with a Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. Enjoy!