Are there people who don’t like Mac and Cheese? If these people do exist, I have yet to meet any of them. In my opinion, Mac and Cheese is one of the greatest creations in all the world. This was actually my first time making Mac and Cheese and I basically winged it. I knew the main ingredients, Cheese and Pasta; the rest wasn’t too difficult to come up with. I used a bechamel sauce as the base and then just added the cheese. And of course, I went with four cheeses because you can never have too much cheese. That’s my life’s motto!
Four Cheese Pasta Bake
1 lb. pasta (I used penne but you could use whatever type you prefer)
1 1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed
1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
1 cup fontina, cubed
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Boil your pasta for about 10-12, until it is al dente. Drain pasta and place back in pot.
2. Prepare bechamel sauce. In a sauce pan, bring the milk to a boil. While milk is being boiled, put 2 tablespoons of butter in another sauce pan. Once butter is melted add the flour. Stir for about 4 minutes. Then slowly add the milk, continuing to stir the whole time. Stir sauce with a wooden spoon for about 8 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Keep sauce over a low heat and add the the mozzarella. Stir until it is melted and then add the cheddar. Once the cheddar is melted, add the fontina cheese to the sauce. Mix until everything is combined and cheese is melted.
4. Add cheese sauce to the pasta and mix together. Pour pasta into a greased 9-inch pan.
5. Top pasta with parmesan cheese first and then the bread crumbs. Melt a tablespoon of butter and drizzle on top of the pasta.
6. Place pan into 350 degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Once the top starts to brown, it is done.
7. Enjoy all the cheesey goodness!