This recipe will make you sound a lot cooler than you are. Okay, I’m sorry for that. That was mean to say. For all I know you may be just as cool as this recipe. Maybe even cooler. But I’m not. I kind of like how badass it makes me seem to be able to whip up some fried ice cream with a peanut butter caramel sauce. Of course, this all just a facade. This recipe is in fact absurdly easy to prepare.
The idea of fried ice cream sounds extremely difficult and as though only the most capable of chefs would be able to prepare it. Luckily for my taste buds this isn’t the case. Oh, and caramel sauce is really simple. All you need to do is make it once and you have it mastered. This sauce is a basic caramel sauce with a 1/2 cup of peanut butter added.
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Fried Ice Cream
11 scoops of ice cream, use whichever flavor you like
3 egg whites
2 cups of graham crackers, crushed
2 cups of vegetable oil
1. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil. Form the scoops of ice cream into a ball and put on the baking sheet. Place in the freezer for an hour so they will be firm.
2. Beat egg whites lightly in a small bowl. Place the crushed graham crackers in another bowl. Remove ice cream from the freezer and place one scoop into the egg whites. Then place into the bowl of graham crackers, completely coating the ice cream. Remove the process with the rest of the scoops. Place them back onto the baking sheet and put back in the freezer for another hour.
3. Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and repeat step 2. Place back in the freezer for another hour.
4. In a medium size saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees. Remove ice cream from the freezer once the oil is at the right temperature. You do not want to leave it out longer than you need to or else it will begin to melt.
5. Now you are ready to fry your ice cream and this is a VERY fast process. Using a slotted spoon, gently place one scoop of ice cream. Leave the scoop in for no more than 10 seconds. Just enough for the graham crackers to brown a little bit. Quickly pat down with a paper towel and serve immediately. The ice cream will start to melt quickly so you will want to have an assembly line so people can grab their dish while you are still frying.
6. Drizzle each scoop with the peanut butter caramel sauce.
Peanut Butter Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup peanut butter
1. Melt sugar and butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Whisk the entire time until they are fully combined and smooth.
2. Remove from heat and slowly add heavy cream, whisking the entire time.
3. Place saucepan back on heat and add peanut butter. Whisk until peanut butter is heated into caramel sauce.
4. Serve warm and enjoy!