The weather has been out of control hot in New York these past few days. Aside from the time I need to spend at work, I have been doing nothing with myself but lying in bed watching Netflix with the AC blasting. I haven’t even had the energy to open my laptop to put up a post. I know it’s horrible. The summer makes me very lazy.
But one good thing about the hot weather is that it means I’ve been eating a lot of barbecue. Most things taste better on a grill. Hamburgers, hot dogs, pound cake, pineapple. And definitely pizza!
This was my first time making pizza on the grill and I was surprised with how tasty it was. It’s my new go-to summer meal because of how light it is and how easy it is to prepare. You can have a meal fully cooked in under 15 minutes. I made it a little more complicated by caramelizing some onions and roasting tomatoes first for toppings. Just add some cheese and fresh veggies if you want to make it as simple as possible.
1 package of ready-made pizza dough
2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon rosemary
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Salt and pepper
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted add the onions. Once the onions begin to soften, add another tablespoon of butter, parsley, and rosemary. Cover pan and let the onions sit over the heat for about 20 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and let the tomatoes cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside for later.
3. Lightly cover a surface with flour and begin to roll out the dough. It does not need to be perfect. I’m a big fan of the rustic looking pie. Roll it into a rectangular shape.
4. Now you are ready to grill your pizza. This is a very fast process. Drizzle one side of the dough with olive oil. Heat the grill to medium heat. Place the side without the oil on the grill. Cover the grill. After five minutes, you are ready to flip the pizza.
5. Once you have flipped your pizza, you can add the toppings. Cover the dough with the minced garlic. Then top with the mozzarella cheese, onions, and tomatoes. Cover and let cook for about another 5 minutes. Once the cheese is melted your pizza is done!